Moscow Mills Municipal Court
US 61 crosses SR C, which also meets with SR MM coming up the South, in the Western part of Moscow Mills.
ABOUT THE AREA
Three landowners decided to found a town to compete with with Monroe, Troy and Alexandria for the site of the county seat when this was about to be decided around 1821. The town was laid out and called Moscow for the city in Russia, however the city lost its bid. Farming in the area took hold nevertheless. In the early 1870's railroad service came to the city and continued until about 1970. The home of one of these landowners is an example of fine stonework masonry and Georgian-styled architecture and has been restored to serve as the home of the Lincoln County Genealogical Society. The name of the city was changed to Moscow Mills when it was discovered that there was a conflict in names with a city in Clay county and because of the mills that were built along the Cuivre river. One of these, the Old River Mill, was built in the 1830's and remained in operation until the 1970's and is the site of the the Mill Site park.
Hon. Larry Nesslage